Assalamualaikum wa-rahmatullahi wa-barakatahu,
Ramadan is just a day or 2 ahead, with preparations in swing I am sure all of you are as excited as I am to make the best use of this month, inshaAllah! 🙂
While we have our preparations and goals set, those of us who have kids in the family let’s not forget to take out time to educate the little Ummah about what Ramadan is all about.
A few activities for them can be:
- Talk to them about Allah (swt), Jannah and everything that He has blessed us with.
- Take out few mins in a day to read the Quran together with translation and discuss about it. “Teaching Kids the holy Quran” should be a great site to make them understand better, inshaAllah.
- Educate them about why we fast. Sister Yasmin Mogahed adviced in a webinar to not reward the child with gifts such as money, toys etc since this makes them associate fasting just for temporary rewards and if you take the reward away from them they may lose interest. So, instead tell them about the rewards of fasting and how Allah loves them more and will bless them with better things in Jannah as a gift for fasting for His sake, inshaAllah.
- Allot a certain time during the day or a day during the week to tell them stories of Prophets(peace be upon them all). If you do not have any book from which you can read it out to them then read the story on net and narrate it to them in your own words.
- Make a Ramadan fun pack – this can contain coloring pages, books to read, and some Ramadan craft work materials and ideas. (Useful resources to get these linked below).
I was looking out for some fun things for Ramadan through which kids might learn something good about Ramadan and also be able to spend their time well rather than watching TV. I found some wonderful sites and suggestions for the same. Here’s a list of the sites: Continue reading